Criminal charges for state and federal weapons violations are serious and can have permanent consequences.
Weapons charges in California include the following:
- Assault with a firearm
- Possession of an assault weapon
- Possessing a firearm as a felon
- Discharging firearm from motor vehicle
- Negligent discharge of firearm
- Criminal storage of firearms in the first degree
- Loaded firearm with intent to commit a felony
- Carrying a concealed firearm on your person
- Having a concealed firearm in your vehicle
- Sale or possession of an illegal weapon
Under some circumstances, a weapons violation is considered a "wobbler" offense. A wobbler is a crime that permits a prosecutor to choose whether to charge the crime as either a misdemeanor or a felony. Having a good attorney, such as the Temecula criminal defense attorneys of Davis & Wojcik APLC, can mean the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony.
Some available legal defenses include (but are not limited to):
- the weapon was discovered during an illegal search;
- the arrest or confession resulted from police misconduct;
- the weapon does not meet the legal definition of a generally prohibited weapon;
- lack of knowledge that the weapon had the characteristics of a generally prohibited weapon;
- the existence of a valid permit for the type of weapon.
A guilty verdict at trial for offenses such as felon in possession of a weapon or sales of stolen assault weapons can easily translate to a variety of stunning penalties: incarceration, fines and a criminal record, just to name a few.
If this predicament sounds familiar, if a gun was used in the commission of a drug crime and your future is at risk in a courtroom, the only way to put this crisis behind you is to retain the most experienced, proven-effective criminal defense attorneys you can find.
We have those lawyers, and a tradition of dedication to your rights, at the Davis & Wojcik, a Professional Law Corporation, law firm in Temecula, serving Riverside County and the Inland Empire.
Right now, you need peace of mind that your legal affairs are being capably handled at every juncture of the judicial process. We do that — with openness to your version of what happened, access to expert investigative resources, proven negotiation skills that impress prosecutors and arguments that resound with judges and juries.
This has been our firmwide formula for success for more than 50 years of practice. If an arrest for any weapons violation has interrupted your life, from manufacture to distribution of unregistered firearms or dangerous knives, you will receive the very best of our quality legal services, in and out of court, start to finish.
Weapons violations can also come in the form of sentencing enhancements. Davis & Wojcik APLC recently prevailed at trial by obtaining a “not guilty” jury verdict for a ten-year enhancement under Penal Code § 12022.53. (See our Articles section for details).Call or Email Immediately to Secure an Initial Consultation
We cannot overstate the importance of refusing to speak with law enforcement about your charges until you have talked to us. Reach our law offices today by phone at (951) 587-2222, or remain at our website to communicate with us by email.